Magento 1.9

Back to Magento 1.9

In my last blog post (Getting Started) I noted that I switched from Magento 1.9 to Magento 1.8. The reason for this is because I was getting inconsistent problems with Magento 1.9.  After browsing the admin panel or hitting API endpoints for a couple minutes it would either go to a blank page or continuously put me back at the Installation Wizard. After attempting to troubleshoot the problem for a couple hours I decided to switch back to version 1.8. Although I didn’t get these random problems with Magento 1.8 I was having a hard time trying to get the REST API to function.  Long story short, I am back on Magento Community 1.9 and have figured out what was wrong with the random issues as well as why I was having problems with the REST API.

Magento pulls up Installation Wizard or Blank Pages at Random

Running Magento Community 1.9 on an Amazon AWS micro instance has turned out to be a challenge.  Although I don’t know the exact fix to this problem I have an idea as to what is going on. My theory is that the server is running out of memory after multiple requests. When the server runs out of memory it corrupts the Magento cache files. This is what is causing the frequent blank pages, redirects to the installation wizard or even the admin page loading without any styling. If you log in to your Magento server and delete the cache folder (<Magento Install Directory>/var/cache) it resolves the issue temporarily. At this point I am going to place blame on the resources of the micro instance.

Magento REST Endpoint Returns 404 or “Invalid webservice adapter specified”

This was actually a silly problem on my part. When installing Magento on to my development server I was using the linux unzip command. What I didn’t realize about this command is that it does not extract hidden files without adding a command parameter. Even though I had Apache ModRewrite turned on and the
“Use Web Server Rewrites” setting turned on in the Magento admin panel, I was missing the stock .htaccess file in the root directory. After adding in the stock .htaccess file the REST API started functioning properly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>